We have been in Ballarat for just over six months now and loving the tree change. It has been great to take it down a few notches and to live in a house with a backyard. Don't get me wrong, I loved living in the Melbourne CBD but with two very active little ladies this is a very welcome change and slower pace of life.
Now we are by no means locals but Ballarat is definitely feeling like home and I feel that we have a few favourites on the Antipodean Love circuit around town. If you heading to "the Rat" or maybe even a local that has been a little low key then these little gems should be added to your list (not listed in any particular order). You may notice that they are very food and retail focussed, not that there is anything wrong with that!
1. Vegas and Rose - love, love, love this local cafe. Great vibe and most importantly great coffee, also a few gluten free goodies on the menu for those inclined.
2. Yarrowee River Trail - awesome walking trail or for those on your pushy. So close to the city but really feels like you are in the bush.
3. The Crafty Squirrel - this shop run by the gorgeous Morgan Wills is truly a little treasure trove. I can lose track of time in here looking at all the hidden little gems.
4. Antik - love a good rummage in this store. Lots of militaria if that is your thing but also a great selection of antiques and unusual bits and bobs.
5. Yellow Espresso - good coffee at the bottom of Sturt Street. We have not eaten there as yet but on our last visit the Blueberry Pancakes caught our eye.
6. Round the Way - yummo Bagel Burgers! This mobile food truck is delish, we last had the Ballafornia Bagel (we were a little naughty and added bacon) and we were not disappointed!
7. Tilly Mint - a great little shop if you need a pressie for the little one(s) in your life. A lot of local Ballarat designers goodies on show.
8. The Little Cupcake - I am still on the no sugar gig but my little ladies love these cupcakes. Perfect little size for little tummies and a cute sit in area for Mamma Bear to have a quick coffee.
9. The Known World Bookshop - a little gem at the bottom of Sturt St. Great place for a good rummage and a lovely little children's book section at the rear of the store.
10. Mitchell Harris Wine Bar - we have only been here with the kidlets for a quick vino in the early evening. They call it the "olive and nuts place", looking forward to coming back here for some adult time in the not too distant future.
So there you have it my Antipodean Lovelies a few of our Ballarat gems that we are loving at the moment.